Yesterday was World Down Syndrome Day and the City team was honored to be part of a fundraiser in support of two Ocean City moms - Jennifer Policini and Melissa Flink, who ran from Washington, D.C. to New York City in the National Down Syndrome Society Run for 3.21 for their sons, who both have Down Syndrome. The three-day journey kicked off at 6:00 a.m. on March 19 at the steps of the U.S. Capitol, arriving at United Nations Headquarters on March 21. I applaud and commend these women, and all who work to raise public awareness to advocate for the rights, inclusion, and well-being of people with Down Syndrome.
As the summer approaches, in addition to the City team’s efforts to prepare our town for the upcoming season, we are working with contractors to complete many capital projects. Projects that can be completed before the summer season will be; and those that cannot will be secured safely for the summer. As always, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during the completion of these major infrastructure upgrades to Ocean City. The following is an update on several of these projects.
North End Pump & Drainage Project
• Paving complete on Bay Avenue from 2nd Street to 6th Street
• Remaining paving to be completed next week on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Street
• The 3 pump stations have been installed and we are awaiting power supply from Atlantic City Electric, expected to be complete in 2 weeks
Mid-Island Pump and Drainage Project
• Small amount of paving still needs to be completed
• Landscaping and beautification of pump stations to be complete by Memorial Day
• The alley portion of the project is currently underway and will be completed by Memorial Day
• The 7th and Asbury crosswalk has begun
• Paver replacement has started on the west side of the 600 block and 700 block of Asbury
6th Street Drainage & Paving Project
• Drainage currently being replaced from Ocean Avenue to West Avenue
• Repaving to be complete by Memorial Day
Aquatic & Fitness Center Pool Improvements
• Racing Lanes to be tiled
• Emptying the pool, sandblasting and refinishing
• Pool to reopen May 1st
Various Road Paving
• Pine Road
• Barbados Lane
• Tobago Lane
• Walton Place
• Transportation Center
South End Drainage & Paving Project (South of 55th Street)
• All drainage pipe has been installed
• Concrete work to begin on Monday
• Elevation of W. 55th Street from Dory Drive to the marsh
• Final paving to be complete by Memorial Day
I hope you all have a great weekend.
Welcome to The City of Ocean City, New Jersey!
Ocean City is a town rich in history and a deep sense of community. Families have been vacationing in Ocean City for generations and many have made Ocean City their year round home.
Our residents enjoy award winning schools, world-class recreation facilities and outstanding municipal services from all City Departments including Police and Fire. Residents participate in activities for every age and interest including the cultural arts, music and theatre as well as sports and recreation programs available at our many parks, playgrounds and City facilities.
The City also maintains and operates a Municipal Airport, twelve-hole golf course, Aquatic and Fitness Center as well as the famed Ocean City Pops Orchestra.
Ocean City is also host to over 200 family friendly special events held year round. Many of our events are popular family traditions including the Night in Venice Boat Parade in July, our exciting Indian Summer Weekend in October featuring the mile long block party and fireworks, and our family friendly New Year’s Eve Celebration, First Night.
If you are vacationing in Ocean City, I know you’ll enjoy our seven miles of beautiful beaches and exciting boardwalk lined with shops, restaurants and amusements. And be sure to visit our unique and charming downtown shops and restaurants located in the heart of town on Asbury Avenue.
I am truly proud to serve as Mayor for this great community and hope you and your family enjoy your time in America’s Greatest Family Resort.
Jay Gillian, Mayor