Boardwalk Entertainer Permit
Ocean City now requires entertainers to obtain a permit to perform on the boardwalk between the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day. Applications can be downloaded here
Entertainers must print and complete the Boardwalk Entertainer Application and submit it with the $50 permit fee to the Community Services Department. We will not be accepting applications until May 1, 2023. Permits for the 2023 season will not be issued until May 26, 2023
If completing by mail, applications should be sent to:
City of Ocean City
C/O: Boardwalk Entertainer Program
861 Asbury Avenue
Ocean City, NJ 08226
If dropping off in person, applications should be submitted to the Music Pier Information Center, Moorlyn Terrace & Boardwalk.
The Boardwalk Entertain Program is governed by City ordinance 18-13 BOARDWALK ENTERTAINERS and it states, in summary, the following:
- Permits are required for all performances between the Friday before Memorial Day and Labor Day and shall take place only at designated performance locations.
- An entertainer must fill out the entertainers application form and submit it to the Department of Community Services. Applications for entertainers under the age of 18 years must be signed by both the entertainer and the entertainer’s legal guardian.
- Sound produced by an entertainer (or group of entertainers) shall not be audible 30 feet from the Boardwalk railing adjacent to which the entertainer(s) is/are performing. No electronic amplifiers are permitted for performances. An electronic instrument, such as a keyboard, is permitted provided that the music is not audible thirty (30') feet from the Boardwalk railing adjacent to which the entertainer is performing.
- The use of any sharp or dangerous weapons, with the exception of sword swallowers, is prohibited.
- Performances should be appropriate for a general audience and profanity is prohibited. Nudity is not permitted.
- The hat or other receptacle for donation collection must remain stationary. No sign requesting contributions shall exceed eight inches by eight inches in size.
- A Boardwalk Entertainer license shall entitle a performer to perform on the Boardwalk on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays; and Sundays. The right to perform is subject to other permitted uses which may take precedence over a street performer license. Examples of other permitted uses include, but are not limited to, Special Events such as Family Night, Character Night, Mummers Night and parades.
- Entertainers are permitted to perform on the public Boardwalk at designated performance locations on designated days between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m except for Sundays, when performances may begin no earlier than 7:00 p.m.
- No entertainer(s) shall remain at any said location for more than 4 hours per twenty-four-hour period.
- The application must be verified before a notary public or other officer authorized to administer oaths.
- The fee is $50 per entertainer. A group such as a band shall be required to pay one annual fee.
- If a badge is lost, the Department of Community Services shall issue a replacement badge on payment by the licensee of a fee of $15.
- A street entertainer may not set any fee or require any donation for his or her performance; or suggest any minimum or maximum donation.
The complete city ordinance can be viewed here. Please be advised that this application must be notarized before a permit can be issued. The form does not need to be notarized in Ocean City, however the City of Ocean City can notarize this form (complimentary) during normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at City Hall by the City Clerk's Office.