Mercantile Licensing Frequently Asked Questions



Welcome to the Office of Licensing.  This Department oversees all municipal licensing regulations for the City of Ocean City. 
The following are the most common licenses:
Rental property: as per Vol. I, section 5-1, all residential, as well as commercial rental properties are required to obtain a Mercantile License, also know as a Rental Registration. 
Contractor/subcontractor:  if you are performing work on new, commercial or a residential structure with 6 or more attached units, you are required to obtain a municipal Contractors License. 
Business: all businesses, new and existing, are required to obtain a Mercantile License.  New businesses must obtain pre-approval and complete a license packet prior to opening the business.  If you are an existing business moving to a new location, you will need to complete a new application packet including an approved pre-application.  Sidewalk café license is also required for existing food establishments wanting to have outside seating.
Vending trucks/bicycle carts are issued by a bid process through the Purchasing Department.  The number of licenses are limited.  Rules and regulations can be found here.
For additional assistance, please contact:
Cecilia Dugan
609-399-6111 ext. 9701
115 12th Street
Ocean City, NJ 08226
Please either view a selection below or enter search information above.  For your convenience, our frequently requested forms are listed below.
Mercantile Packet
Non-Profit Permit (E-FORM) Mercantile Pre-Application
Rental Registration Sidewalk Cafe
Trademark / Logo Landlord Registration (E-FORM)
Non-Profit Renewal (E-FORM)  

Requires Adobe

Mercantile Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the Licensing Office?

115 East 12th Street
Ocean City, NJ 08226