Flood Damage


Flood Damage Questions

My home had flood damage during Hurricane Sandy. Do I have to elevate my home?

If the repairs and upgrades that you plan to make to your home exceeds 50% of the value of the home, you are required to bring your home up to the current construction codes which could include raising your home, depending on the current elevation of the structure.  Your flood insurance policy has a clause in it for increased cost of compliance (ICC) which could provide you with up to $30,000 for costs related to bringing your home up to current construction codes.

How is the value of my home determined for the comparison to the repair/upgrade costs?

The value of your home is shown on your tax bill as the “Improvement Value”.  This value is a fraction of the total value of your property and is usually less than your land value in Ocean City.  You can also hire an appraiser to provide you with a appraisal for the value of the improvements on your property.

What repairs/upgrades costs should I include when making the comparison to the 50% value of my home?

The following items shall be included in the repair/upgrade costs:  All structural elements (spread or continuous foundation footings and pilings, monolithic or other types of concrete slabs, bearing walls, tie beams, trusses, floors, and ceilings), attached decks and porches, interior partition walls, exterior wall finishes (brick, stucco, siding, painting, and moldings), windows, doors, reshingling or retiling a roof, hardware, interior finishes (tiling, linoleum, stone, carpet over subflooring, drywall, painting, stucco, plaster, paneling, marble), bathroom tile and fixtures, kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, utility cabinets, all utility and service equipment (HVAC equipment, plumbing and electrical services, light fixtures, ceiling fans, security systems, built in kitchen appliances, central vacuum systems, water filtration-conditioning-recirculation systems), demolition costs for storm damaged building components, labor and other associated costs associated with moving or altering undamaged building components to accommodate improvements or additions, overhead and profits.


Items excluded from the repair/upgrade costs:  plans and specifications, survey costs, permit fees, post-storm debris removal and clean up, landscaping, sidewalk, fences, yard lights, swimming pools, screened pool enclosures, detached structures (garages, sheds, and gazebos), and irrigation systems.

My insurance adjuster is requesting a letter from the city as proof that I am required to elevate my home. How do I get this letter?

Obtain costs to repair/upgrade your home that include itemized estimates from licensed contractors or other professional estimators in the construction industry.  Bring copies of all the estimates to the Construction Code Office (115 East 12thStreet, Ocean City, NJ 08226) to make your request for the letter.