City Clerk


The Office of the City Clerk is the public’s access point to government records, voting information, licenses, permits, certain maps and archives. The office maintains information regarding City Council and has a variety of resources for citizens from the City, County, State and other agencies.

The Office of the Municipal Clerk and Registrar is responsible for storing and maintaining government records. The definition of “government record” means any record that has been made, maintained, or kept on file in the course of official business by a public agency or an officer of that public agency, or that has been received in the course of official business by a public agency or an officer of that public agency.

The Municipal Clerk’s responsibilities as defined by New Jersey Statutes include: Secretary to the Governing Body, Secretary to the Municipal Corporation, Administrative and Licensing Officer, Election Administrator, and Records Coordinator and Manager.

The City Clerk’s Office is the place to go for:

  • Voter Registration Information
  • Elections, School Board/Primary/General/Municipal
  • Copies of Resolutions and Local Ordinances
  • Marriage Licenses
  • Marriage, Birth and Death Records
  • Dog Licenses
  • Riparian & Flood Maps
  • Taxi and Livery Licenses
  • Archival Information

Many questions will be answered in the Frequently Asked Questions below, so please check there first.

Melissa Rasner
Municipal Clerk
861 Asbury Avenue
Ocean City NJ 08226
609.399.6366 (fax)

How can I obtain a certified copy of a Vital Record? [Marriage, Birth or Death]

In the State of New Jersey, Vital Records are retained in the Municipality where the event occurred. In order to obtain the record, an Application must be completed and ID is required. The fee is $10.00 per copy.

Download and complete the form below, enclose identification and payment to the City of Ocean City,  ($10.00 per copy) and mail to 861 Asbury Avenue, Ocean City, NJ 08226:

Request for Birth, Marriage, Death Records

How Do I Obtain a Marriage License?

When are council meetings and when is the Agenda available?

Council Meeting and Workshop dates are adopted by Resolution at the beginning of the year. Date changes are routine and a current list is always available in the Clerk’s office. Agendas are generally available on Monday afternoon prior to a Thursday Regular Meeting.

To have an agenda e-mailed to you, sign up for the City’s e-Mail Alert system. Click here to sign up.

-How can I obtain a copy of an Ordinance, Resolution or other City Records?

The New Jersey State Open Public Records Act (OPRA) provides that most government records are available to the public, however, the request must be in writing and there is an associated cost: 1-20 pages – no charge; 21 tor more pages - $0.05. Data supplied on Compact Disk: 1-4 CDs - no charge; 5 or more CDs - $0.25; Preprinted/publiched documents: City's Cost for Blue Print Copies (persheet) $1.00; DVD's (video of Council meetings) $3.00. Documents available in electronic format when supplied as an e-mail attachment - no charge

Download the form here: Local Government Records Request Form

-What are the name, address and telephone numbers of the Council members?

Click here for Council Contact Information.

-How soon before an election must I register to be eligible to vote in that election?

A voter must register to vote at least 21 days prior to an election.

Click HERE for more voter registration information

-Where are the Ocean City Polling Places?

See map of Ocean City voting districts (scroll down in PDF file for detail)

-When are Ocean City Elections?

Ocean City Municipal Elections. 2nd Tuesday in May, in even years. Elections alternate between voting for At-Large Council and Ward Council.

-What are the Ward boundaries?

1stward – Longport bridge to north side of 4thStreet
2ndward – south side of 4thStreet to north side of 12thStreet
3rdward – south side of 12thStreet to north side of 26thStreet
4thward – south side of 26thStreet to 59thStreet

-How do I license my dog?

New Jersey State law requires that all dogs must be licensed. All dogs 6 months or older, or having a permanent set of teeth must be licensed. A current rabies certificate must be provided as well as proof of spay/neuter. The cost is $10 for all dogs that are not spayed/neutered and $7 for those that are.
ALL dog licenses are renewable in January. Renewal notices are sent the first week of the new year and licenses may be renewed by mail utilizing the renewal notice. Any licenses not renewed by March 31, will incur a $4.00 late fee.
A Free Rabies Clinic is offered every year in the month of January.

-How can I purchase Division of Fish and Wildlife licenses?

The purchase of hunting, fishing, crabbing & shellfish licenses recently became an electronic transaction and all licenses are available in the Office of the City Clerk. To purchase a license, adults must provide driver license number, conservation number (for previous license holders only) social security number. Minors must provide social security number.