Capital Projects Boardwalk
- When: Work will begin on Oct. 16, 2017 to complete the final phase of boardwalk reconstruction between Fifth Street and 12th Street.
- Where: Ocean City Boardwalk between the north side of 10th Street and 12th Street.
- Detour: Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured off the boardwalk at Ninth Street and return on 12th Street.
- Who: Fred M. Schiavone Construction is the contractor.
- What: Complete replacement of the boardwalk decking and substructure. This is the fifth phase of a five-year project to rebuild the boardwalk between Fifth Street and 12th Street.
- Why: Deteriorating condition of the concrete substructure and regular maintenance of boardwalk decking.
- How: Sections of decking are constructed off-site and lowered into place by a crane. This method proved successful and efficient in the first four phases of the project.The decking is made from southern yellow pine with a thickness of 3 inches, about twice that of traditional boardwalk planks.
- How much: The contract cost for this phase is about $2.9 million.
- What's next: The project work runs only in the off-season and began at Fifth Street in fall 2013. It will continue from 10th Street to 12th Street (2017-18) and with boardwalk ramps between Eighth Street and 12th Street (2018-19).
BOARDWALK BATHROOMS AT SIXTH STREET
A reconstructed bathroom facility at Sixth Street will start with demolition of the existing facilities in October 2017.
14TH STREET AND 19TH STREET BOARDWALK RAMPS
An ADA ramp providing access to the boardwalk at 19th Street is now complete (19th Street had been the only boardwalk entrance accessible from the street only by stairs). A project to widen the 14th Street boardwalk ramp to provide easier access for vehicles is also complete.