Capital Projects Boardwalk
- When: Work began on Oct. 16, 2017 to complete the final phase of boardwalk reconstruction between Fifth Street and 12th Street. The project was completed in March 2018.
- Where: Ocean City Boardwalk between the north side of 10th Street and 12th Street.
- Detour: Pedestrians and cyclists were detoured off the boardwalk at Ninth Street and returned on 12th Street.
- Who: Fred M. Schiavone Construction was the contractor.
- What: Complete replacement of the boardwalk decking and substructure. This was the fifth phase of a five-year project to rebuild the boardwalk between Fifth Street and 12th Street.
- Why: Deteriorating condition of the concrete substructure and regular maintenance of boardwalk decking.
- How: Sections of decking are constructed off-site and lowered into place by a crane. This method proved successful and efficient in the first four phases of the project.The decking is made from southern yellow pine with a thickness of 3 inches, about twice that of traditional boardwalk planks.
- How much: The contract cost for this phase was about $2.9 million.
BOARDWALK BATHROOMS AT SIXTH STREET
A reconstructed bathroom facility at Sixth Street is expected to be complete by the first week of May. Renovation of the 12th Street bathroom facility and addition of a street-end restroom at 11th Street are in the design phase.
14TH STREET AND 19TH STREET BOARDWALK RAMPS
An ADA ramp providing access to the boardwalk at 19th Street is now complete (19th Street had been the only boardwalk entrance accessible from the street only by stairs). A project to widen the 14th Street boardwalk ramp to provide easier access for vehicles is also complete.